Sunday 26 November 2017

Alpha Build PARC SNA

Started to build the PARC SNA.  The challenge I figured was going to be, and still likely will be, putting it through its paces and hopefully cover off on all the possibilities. But I'm sure our software designer, Dave VE3OOI, has thought of everything and it will be perfect.

However, as with most projects on my bench, there are challenges with each project.  No different with this project either.

This board was etched by a laser machine and it is a very nice looking board. The trace clearances are somewhat tight and the through holes are not plated.  The clearances did present some challenges with a few solder bridges that proved to difficult to remove in a couple of cases. After using a solder sucker and solder wick, the shorts had still remained.  Even under a well lit magnifying glass the short could not be seen. Scrapping with a dental tool in one case did not help but a rub with a small fine wire brush did work.

The other self inflected problem, one that I can never seem to avoid, was, well, stupidity. I knew the via's were not through plated and I was given some fine wire to use where necessary. Yet I still managed to forget this and went ahead and soldered in headers tight to the board when I needed to allow a space in order to apply solder. Gave the solder sucker a really good workout and I'll bet I used up more solder wick on this project than all the others I've done combined. HiHi.  But thanks to the quality of the board, it survived the abuse.

About 6 hours into the build so far and today I shall carry on with installing headers and connecting up the via's


No comments:

Post a Comment