Thursday 21 May 2020

Signl Generator Control Project Update

The software development had been taking up a fair bit of my time mainly because I really don't know a whole lot about Arduino coding and hacking into the existing code for the original SigGen was a bit daunting. Fortunately Kevin, VE3KHH who is doing the same project as I am, has the appropriate skills for the software changes and gave me a few clues on how to approach this. His end of the software changes is completed and I still have a bit of work left to do on the rf sensing code.

I took a break from software to start assembling all the various boards into a repurposed power supply case.

Since the nano for the step attenuator was now redundant, the code is now in the SigGen Nano, I removed the existing pin headers for the nano and installed new ones on the reverse side of the board. I used headers to access the the encoder and the 2 attenuator boards.  I needed to add in a 3.3vdc power supply for the attenuators as the nano was no longer installed. I mounted the regulator right on some unused pins. Unfortunately I let the smoke out of the 1st regulator. I forgot that the tab was also Vout and had soldered it to ground. Good thing I always order several components at a time so I have a few spares.

If all goes well I should be able to disassemble everything and paint the case sometime next week. 




No comments:

Post a Comment