Monday 15 February 2016

LBS Pre Amplifier

Have spent the better part of 2 days working on this amplifier.  The only thing that i can say for sure about it is that I let the smoke out of a resistor. To be honest, I can't believe this is the first time I've done it on this project.  Not sure why it fried, although I was driving the amp hard when the smoke released.

My first breadboard circuit was a total loss.  I had bought a "cheap? bread board on eBay and that had lots of space and terminals for power feeds. When I got it I was surprised that the power connections went nowhere but figured for the price of it, not to worry. I never used it until the other day. A vast amount of the wire connectors on the board are not suited to the jumper wires that normally come with breadboard kits.  However I did notice after I took everything apart, that the jumper wires you get that have the ends finished off with molded black plastic fit much better. I got those off eBay when looking at Arduino accessories.


The amplifier contains a 2 transistors one of which is a J310.  Yes I got them from eBay and i have read that there maybe issues with the performance of them. That could be the problem I was having so I switched to the smt version.  I had, note the term had, 3 smt j310's that I acquired a few years ago when building up my on hand supply of smt components. Broke one, lost another, and on the last one.  It didn't change the results I was getting, so I've decided to  etch a board and take all the breadboarding jury rigging variables out of the equation.  Besides, it keeps up my Kicad skills.  If I had time I'd put the circuit in LT Spice first, but maybe later.

Here's a picture of the circuit with the smt version of the 310.  Its located a little lower than the burn't resistor at the top left.   The 310 has 3 red wires soldered to its leads.




No comments:

Post a Comment