Friday 25 September 2015

Learning how to etch pcb's......again.

Just when you think you have a handle on a process, it comes up to bite you.  It took 4 attempts at toner transfer 2 tries at etching.

Problem 1 was just simple proof reading the layout before etching so that was easily cured, maybe.

Problem 2 was simply(?) controlling the heating process. Between possibly too much heat and or pressure I was getting the toner smearing/smugging slightly. This might be ok with some of the text areas, but not so much on the traces. They started to get pretty close.

What I did on my last board was put the iron directly on the toner transfer paper instead of inserting a sheet of paper in-between as I had done previously.  I found I was able to react quicker to the temperature of the board and also keep the iron much closer to the temperature needed. With the extra paper I found I needed to increase the overall temp of the iron on order to get the temp required to the board and it was quite easy to over temp.  I'm back to the porous board problem again but the board is usable. Can't fix everything in one go can one?

The discolouration is due to the sharpie I used to fil in some of the voids in the toner.  Even though I cleaned the board thoroughly, so I thought, it still has an effect.  Needs more than just scotch brite and water I suppose.

73, Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment