Thursday 17 September 2015

XTALL Checker Jig.

Worked on my crystal checker today.  Etched the board and populated all the parts except for the BNC connectors.  I have 20 on order but they have yet to show. First time I've had to wait this long for parts.  Oh well, always a first.  In fact I've ordered so much stuff I'm losing track. Need to mark this all down on a calendar or something. I'm sure earlier I had received some diodes, but I can't find them now. Not even sure why I ordered them in the first place.

Thought I had produced my best board yet...Until I realized that I didn't do the ground pads properly.  Nothing that a jumper or solder bridge can't fix but at least the board turned out well from the toner transfer perspective.  Still some spots where the toner either didn't transfer or came off during the remove the paper stage, but good improvement from previous boards.  I used the yellow(cheap) paper I'd ordered a while back this time round as I want to make sure on the smaller boards that this paper will work and if so, I don't need to order the expensive blue stuff.

I put the board into an Altoids tin as per the rule if it fits in one, then in it goes. I put the socket for the crystal on the top of the lid and bent over the centre pin and soldered to the lid for stability.  Finished off by applying hot melt around the socket on the top side. Tight clearances for the 2 outside pins to the lid but it should be ok. Just need to drill 2 holes in the side for the BNC connectors and of course, wait for the postman.

Next up will be finishing off the crystal IF filter board.  It's mostly complete and I now have the crystals  on hand.

Worked a little on my cw at 10 wpm this afternoon.  Went well with only 3 errors.  So its coming along.

73, Peter




No comments:

Post a Comment